Lots of questions after Harris’ Town Hall meetingReaders' Forum
After attending Congressman Harris’ Town Hall, I have many concerns and questions.
The attendance was impressive with the majority in the audience differing from Dr. Harris on most issues. Questions were fine but it only allows Dr. Harris to give his point of view and does not allow for the other side of the argument. It would be nice to have a forum where discussion is possible.
Even after the Town Hall, I still have questions for Dr. Harris on some of the disconnects or incomplete answers:
· What specific initiatives are in the 2018 budget that will help working people and create jobs? Your answer of tax cuts clearly doesn’t work or we should have grown many jobs under George W. Bush and instead the job market crashed and burned.
· You expressed a need to cure Alzheimer’s to bring down health care costs and help the suffering of so many families. How does cutting funding for NIH research help us find a cure for Alzheimer’s or the many other devastating diseases?
· You seem very concerned about the drug addition epidemic. Ho can we ever address the epidemic if the budget cuts funding for treatment and the republican health care bill if passes would not cover treatment?
· America is an open and diverse society. How do you justify a Muslim ban, discrimination against LGBT and policies that do not support equality for women?
· You want to reduce regulations. But, what will you tell people when they are sick and poisoned from the pollutants in food, air and water that will occur when you take away safety regulations?
· As a conservative, how do you justify companies having the right to sell my private information without my permission?
I want a country that puts people first not corporations. Current policy proposals put greed, fear, corporations and the wealthy first. I want to know what are the specific proposals that Dr. Harris puts forth that will help the rest of and what data does he have that shows these proposals work?