Ocean City Today

Coastal median fence underway

By Katie Tabeling | Dec 28, 2017
Courtesy of: Mike Snedaker Stanley J. Faision was driving a 1972 Chevrolet Impala when he struck and killed a 23-year-old man On May 19 near 45th Street.

(Dec. 29, 2017) After two pedestrians were killed while crossing Coastal Highway this summer, the State Highway Administration finally broke ground on the median fence this year.

Originally, SHA and Ocean City officials planned to have the sand-dune style fence in place, from 62nd Street to 40th Street, by Memorial Day weekend. But the project was postponed until 2018 when the two bids overshot the $4.5 million estimate.

“Is it slightly disappointing? Yes,” Public Works Director Hal Adkins said during a council session on Jan. 3. “I don’t think anybody wants to see work on this in the summer months and nobody wants it paused.”

As the State Highway Administration reworked and rebid the project, Ocean City started the summer with a pedestrian fatality.

James R. Ednie, 23, of Kelton, Pennsylvania was struck by a 1972 Chevrolet Impala when he was crossing the highway near 45th Street on May 21. Ednie was not in the crosswalk.

The driver, Stanley J. Faison, 50, of Waldorf, Maryland, had a blood alcohol content of .12. He was charged with vehicular homicide, driving under the influence and various other charges.

As the summer continued, the number of pedestrian collisions increased. There were two notable incidents in July.  Omar Pinto, 35, of Newark, New Jersey, was struck by an unidentified car when he was crossing Philadelphia Avenue at 15th Street.

The driver fled the scene, and police later found Pinto lying in the marked crosswalk around 3 a.m. He was treated for a broken leg at University of Maryland Medical Center’s shock trauma in Baltimore.

One week later, a three-year-old girl and her grandmother were struck by a Volkswagen Jetta driven by a 17-year-old girl from Berlin.

The two were crossing Baltimore Avenue in a marked crosswalk. Both were treated for non-life-threatening injuries at Peninsula Regional Medical Center.

The driver was cited for failure to stop for a pedestrian in a crosswalk and fined $500.

During the unsanctioned car rally H2O International, an Ocean City Police patrol officer struck an unidentified pedestrian near 56th Street.

The 26-year old man was flown to Peninsula Regional Medical Center by a state police helicopter. He was treated for minor injuries.

A preliminary investigation showed the Police SUV had a green light, and he turned left onto Coastal Highway. The pedestrian was legally in the crosswalk.

During Endless Summer Cruisin’ weekend, one man died and another man was injured after they were struck by cars.

Thomas Lawlor, 57, of Ocean City died from his injuries after he was struck by a Maryland State Police patrol car late at night on Oct. 6. The car was operated by Master Trooper James Price of the Princess Anne Barrack as he was assisting with additional road patrol for the event. He was driving in the middle lane when Lawlor stepped “directly into the path” of the car, according to reports.

Price tried to avoid a collision, but was unable to avoid striking the pedestrian. Lawlor was taken to Atlantic General Hospital by ambulance and declared dead.

Price was placed on administrative leave for “five working days.”

An unidentified 19-year-old man from Walkersville, Maryland was also struck by a 1998 Chevy Camaro that weekend. He was crossing Coastal Highway near 54th Street, when he was hit. The driver had a green light, according to officials.

Construction on the median fence started in November, after contractor George & Lynch signed on for the project $6.48 million. To make up for lost time, the fence will extend to 26th Street. SHA officials said the fence, and the LED lights that come with it, have been considered a priority to complete by Memorial Day weekend.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.