Ocean City Today
https://oceancitytoday.villagesoup.com/p/1670443

Court acquits man accused of assault on family members

By Brian Gilliland | Jul 20, 2017

(July 21, 2017) The Ocean Pines man accused of terrorizing his family with a kitchen knife before barricading himself in his home has been acquitted on all charges because of a lack of evidence.

The trial of Alberto Dacanay, 76, had been postponed at the request of the state to allow time for witnesses to come forward, but they did not. It was a move foreshadowed by defense attorney Marc Zeve back in June.

“I’ve spoken with the daughter and son-in-law and they’re adamant about not returning,” Zeve said.

Zeve said in June he normally wouldn’t oppose a motion for postponement, especially on a first request, but said he’d spoken with the relatives and they’d showed no interest in testifying.

Judge Patrick Cavanaugh granted the postponement, despite the objection.

On Tuesday, Assistant State’s Attorney Brittani Roksiewicz called for the witnesses, and hearing no response, concluded her case. Zeve then made a motion for acquittal, which was granted by District Court Judge Gerald Purnell.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.