Ocean City Today

No charges for man shot after fleeing police

By Katie Tabeling | Nov 09, 2017

(Nov. 10, 2017) Delaware State Police will not file charges against the man who broke into a local Realtor’s home, stole her car, and led police on a car chase that ended in shots fired in March.

Troy Lee Short, 31, of Hurlock, Maryland, was shot at least once after he reportedly tried to hit two officers after he reached a dead-end road in Ocean View. He was listed in critical condition in Christiana Hospital in Wilmington, Delaware, as of late May.

Delaware State Police and Worcester County Sheriff spokesmen said at the time that if Short had recovered, he would be charged in both jurisdictions.

“The determination [that no charges will be filed] was made in coordination with the Delaware Department of Justice,” said Master Cpl. Gary Fournier of Delaware State Police. “His medical status is protected under HIPAA, so we won’t be able to comment on that.”

The Worcester County State’s Attorney office did not respond to immediate requests for comment.

According to various press releases, Short was seen driving a truck erratically around Eighth Street in Ocean City around 8:10 p.m. When a Worcester County deputy attempted to stop the truck, Short fled.

Short then crashed the truck near Friendship Road. He went onto steal another car, drove it to Route 50 and abandoned it near Route 575. At that point, a K-9 team was called in and directed police to second stolen car.

But by that point, Short had stolen a third car, and drove it to St. Martin’s Neck Road in Bishopville. Yet again, he abandoned it.

Short then broke into local Realtor Bethany Drew’s house, stole her pocketbook, and drove off in her SUV. Deputies spotted him and unsuccessfully attempted to stop him as he fled to Delaware.

Deputy Anthony Rhode kept up the chase, and was joined by Ocean View Police Ofc. Nickolas Harrington, as the SUV drove down Burbage Road.

When Short reached came to a dead end on Pine Grove Lane, he accelerated backwards into the front of the Ocean View police patrol vehicle. The force pushed the car, with Harrington inside, off the road.

The SUV continued backing up at high speeds, almost striking the sheriff’s vehicle and smashing into a mailbox.

Short then reportedly turned the SUV around and drove toward the deputy and the Ocean View officer, who were out of their vehicles. When Short refused to stop after the officers shouted warnings, both men fired multiple rounds at the vehicle. The car came to a stop in a driveway on Pine Grove Lane.

Short was taken to Beebe Healthcare in Lewes, Delaware and later transferred to Christiana Hospital.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.