Ocean City Today

Wor. boys’ basketball tops DC in overtime

Prep squad led by senior captain Tucker Brown who scored 25 pts. in 51-47 win
By Managing Editor, Lisa Capitelli | Dec 21, 2017
Photo by: Lisa Capitelli Worcester Prep senior captain Tucker Brown soars to the basket during Monday’s game against Delmarva Christian. Brown scored 25 points in Worcester’s 51-47 overtime victory. He netted all eight of the team’s points in the overtime period.

(Dec. 22, 2017) Worcester Prep senior captain Tucker Brown was hitting shots all night and his teammates recognized that, so they gave him the ball and he led them to a 51-47 overtime victory against the Delmarva Christian Royals, Monday in Berlin.

“Everyone was setting me up well. I didn’t really have to do too much,” he said. “I just kind of had to catch and shoot, and maybe hit an open layup here and there.”

Brown netted three threes in the first quarter of the basketball game. After one, Worcester was on top 15-9. Baskets were traded in the second quarter and at halftime, the score was tied, 27-27.

Delmarva Christian pulled ahead in the third, and at the end of the quarter the Royals had a 35-33 advantage.

Trailing 43-41, Prep senior captain Brendan Miller made a shot to even the score, 43-43, with less than two minutes left in the fourth quarter. At the end of regulation, the game was tied 43-43.

Delmarva got on the board first in the four-minute extra period to take a 47-43 lead. From that point on, Worcester held its opponent scoreless.

Brown went 1-for-2 from the foul line then sunk a three to tie it, 47-47. He then stole the ball, drove down the court and made a layup to give the Mallards a 49-47 lead with about a minute left to play.

“Big shots like that [three] get everyone fired up to get going on defense,” he said. “After that I got a steal and easy layup and that really contributed from that three, coming right down [on defense], picking up that energy and feeding off it.”

With 2.8 seconds on the clock Brown was fouled. He made both shots to put the game out of reach.

“I’ve been in this situation before. On our home court and everything, I felt fine,” Brown said. “Having the lead definitely took some pressure off. If we had to come from behind and I had to make two to tie it up that definitely would have been some more pressure.”

Brown led Worcester with 25 points. He was 6-for-9 from the three-point line and hit five of his six foul shots. Brown scored all eight of Worcester’s points in overtime. He also had six steals, two rebounds, two assists and a block.

“My teammates really trusted me, because I kind of had the hot hand. It was feeling good tonight,” he said. “They’re really good about recognizing that. They just fed me and I took that confidence they were passing off to me.”

Prep Coach Keith Geiger said Brown has improved each year since joining the team as a freshman and has gained more confidence as well.

“He was doing this type of stuff in the end of games when he was a sophomore and now he’s a senior,” Geiger said. “If it’s tied and you need a bucket, he’s probably about as good as you can get in the league. I wouldn’t bet against him. He’s good. He’s clutch – super clutch.”

Senior captain Brenner Maull contributed 17 points. He was also big on the boards, Geiger said. Maull had 16 rebounds.

Overall, Geiger said he was pleased with his players’ performance.

“I think we ran our offense really well, so I was happy. And defense, we played pretty much how we practiced and planned to play,” he said.

“Our offense all game was good, better than it has been all year. Even though we only scored 51 points, we had some movement, good passes, drives and kicks,” Geiger continued. “What I tell them in timeouts is we can’t afford to be tired at all. Our offense usually comes from defense, so we get momentum and we get loose, and we get going on defense.”

Geiger said it looked as though the Royals were getting a bit tired late in the game, while his players seemed to be in better shape. Most of them are three-sport athletes, so that helps as well.

“Also, I think our bench gave us good minutes,” he said. “Our bench is really good. This year they’ve been contributing positively, so I’m happy about [that].”

The victory, both Brown and Geiger agreed, gives the team momentum going into the Christmas break. The Mallards are 3-1 in Eastern Shore Independent Athletic Conference play and 4-4 overall.

“We’re all coming together now after some tough losses,” Brown said. “I think this will help build us and help us make a run in the ESIAC this year.”

Geiger said the team plans to practice over the break. The first game back after vacation is Friday, Jan. 5 against Delmar in Berlin at 7 p.m.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.